Thursday, January 01, 2009

In memory of Barry Goldwater


(Det var litt lettere å skrive denne på engelsk)

Its New Years Day, and all around us, on TV, radio, newspapers, and so on we are filled with hopes for the new year. As people talk about peace and freedom, my mind wanders to the one guy who understood the true meaning of individual freedom better than almoust just about anyone. Today is not only the first day of the year 2009, but also exactly 100 years since Barry Goldwater was born in Phoenix, Arizona 1909. Although Barry Goldwater passed away more than 10 years ago, his legacy still lives on.

Unlike other politicians, Barry Goldwater didn't just talk about individual freedom, and then turn around and vote for more government regulations and intervention. Barry Goldwater didnt seek the presidency so that he could enforce his values and ideas on others. He sought the office because he was deeply concerned with how society was turning. He questioned how it could happen that the national government of such a great country, based on freedom, could grow from a servant with sharply limited powers into a master with virtually unlimited power.

Barry Goldwater believed the time would come when we entrust the conduct of affairs to men who understand their first duty as public officials is to divest themselves of the power they have been given. Someday I hope he is right. Here's an excerpt from «The Conscience of a Conservative»:

«I have little interest in streamlining the government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce it's size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed purpose, or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is «needed» before I have determined whether it is constitutionally permissable. And if I should later be attacked for neglecting my constituents interests, I shall reply that I was informed that their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I am doing the very best I can.»

Barry Goldwater is the true leader America would've needed (then and today), but not sadly not the leader they deserved. Barry Goldwater would never sacrifice his principles for simple populism. Barry Goldwater was a republican and a christian, but he despised the religious right in his own party. He considered abortion a matter of personal choice, and defended gay rights on numerous occations. Barry Goldwater stood proudly by his values and kept his integrity. Barry Goldwaters run for the precidency was something as rare as a glorius disaster. Lyndon B. Johnson will forever be remembered as maybe the worst president in the history of the United States, while Barry Goldwaters words is forever an inspiration like on other.

Today I remember the best president the United States of America never had!


No comments: